Skip to main content

P is for Prison

  So far I have only found one ancestor {he is on my husband's side}that has gone to prison.  Alvah Rutan  {who I write about often} was arrested on 31 Aug 1864 and then later released and then arrested again in October of 1864.  The October arrest resulted in a trial where he was found guilty of making disloyal comments about the president of the United States.  On 1 Mar 1865 Alvah Rutan was released from prison by the president of the United States.

I have several accounts of his arrests and trial and imprisonment from newspapers and a book about the area.  Recently, I got the trial records from NARA and I am working on transcribing them.

Alvah's individual information window.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Tips to Break Down Your Brick Wall

Originally posted at Lost Tree Project as a guest post February 2019. Eventually we all hit a brick wall.  My first brick wall was with Joseph Thomas {my husband's 3rd great grandfather} I spent months searching.  Brick walls can last weeks to months to years.  Below are some quick tips to help you break through that brick wall. Research another ancestor for a while and then go back to your brick wall .  You will see your brick wall ancestor with new eyes. Use a checklist to see if you missed any records.  {You can find my Evernote Research Checklist in my shared genealogy notebook.} Revisit your research.  Maybe you missed a piece of information in a document.  Maybe something seemed like it wasn't important but now that you have more information you find it is important. Learn something new.  It does not need to be genealogy related.  When you shift your thinking to something...

Tag or Notebook organizing System?

Great blog post at  harmonenterprises  blog by Stacey Harmon about tagging or using stacked notebooks to organize in Evernote.  I use both.  I have a notebook for each project or main subject and then within that notebook are stacked notebooks to break it down. I use an inbox notebook where every note goes that comes into Evernote; from there I review and sort each note. My notebooks are always changing depending on what I am working on.  When I start a project it gets a notebook stack and when I finish the project I keep what I need to keep.  Those notes go to a filing cabinet notebook and get tagged with relevant notes.  I try to make sure the notes have informational titles so it is easier to search for a note if I need to.  About twice a year I go through all of my notes one by one and delete the ones that are not relevant.  I did not think I would be deleting as many as I do but a lot of them I do not need to keep. Be sure t...

Marine Casualty Card Database

While I was writing Top 10 Blog Posts for 2019 I discovered that my top post was US Marine Casualty Cards from 2014.  Wow!  {There is also an update to the original post here  where I show some more information that was sent to me.}  I went back to read the post and discovered that the links no longer work.  I did a little digging and found a link to the Casualty Card Database at the Marine Corps University website.  At this site you click on the war you want to search and download a searchable spreadsheet.  Once you locate your Marine you send an email to request the card.  There are also links to download information about what the codes mean on the cards. I also found that you can search the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Index, 1940-1958 , at Ancestry.com.  It gives the casualty date, type, unit, and service number.  There is a link to go to another website from the Ancestry database but that link does not work. {I believe...