Skip to main content

Evernote to OneNote | Importing Notes






A few weeks ago I posted about moving to OneNote from Evernote.  To start the process I searched for a way export my Evernote notes into OneNote.  At the OneNote website you can download a OneNote importer.  Once it is downloaded double click to open and follow the instructions to link your Evernote account.   {Save the importer because you will be using it a lot to import your notes}.  


Evernote to OneNote

I do not suggest selecting all of your notebooks and doing them at one time, especially if you have a lot of notes.  Before I started the importer I did a little housekeeping in my Evernote notebooks and deleted notes that were not needed.  You can also create some dummy notebooks in Evernote to break up your notes into smaller chunks so you do not run into any issues when importing to OneNote.  Once in OneNote you will want to move your notes around into your new organization system.

Evernote to OneNote

Select your notebook, select next and let the imported do its magic.  It will ask you to sign into your Microsoft account.  It will tell you that your notebook in Evernote will be imported as a notebook in OneNote and each individual note will be imported as pages in the notebook. You can select to have your tags imported to OneNote as well.  The tags will show up in each note as a hashtag {#} and they are searchable.  {I did have them brought in but realized that I did not need them.}

Evernote to OneNote

It does take some time depending on how many notes you are importing.  When it is done you will see the screen below.

Evernote to OneNote

To get back to where you select Evernote notes to import click on #2 on the left in the image above and start the import process over again.

In the next installment of Evernote to OneNote I will show you my setup. 

If you have any questions about OneNote or Evernote you can email me at sthomas51004@gmail.com or you can use the Contact Me button above.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Tips to Break Down Your Brick Wall

Originally posted at Lost Tree Project as a guest post February 2019. Eventually we all hit a brick wall.  My first brick wall was with Joseph Thomas {my husband's 3rd great grandfather} I spent months searching.  Brick walls can last weeks to months to years.  Below are some quick tips to help you break through that brick wall. Research another ancestor for a while and then go back to your brick wall .  You will see your brick wall ancestor with new eyes. Use a checklist to see if you missed any records.  {You can find my Evernote Research Checklist in my shared genealogy notebook.} Revisit your research.  Maybe you missed a piece of information in a document.  Maybe something seemed like it wasn't important but now that you have more information you find it is important. Learn something new.  It does not need to be genealogy related.  When you shift your thinking to something...

Marine Casualty Card Database

While I was writing Top 10 Blog Posts for 2019 I discovered that my top post was US Marine Casualty Cards from 2014.  Wow!  {There is also an update to the original post here  where I show some more information that was sent to me.}  I went back to read the post and discovered that the links no longer work.  I did a little digging and found a link to the Casualty Card Database at the Marine Corps University website.  At this site you click on the war you want to search and download a searchable spreadsheet.  Once you locate your Marine you send an email to request the card.  There are also links to download information about what the codes mean on the cards. I also found that you can search the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Index, 1940-1958 , at Ancestry.com.  It gives the casualty date, type, unit, and service number.  There is a link to go to another website from the Ancestry database but that link does not work. {I believe...

Tag or Notebook organizing System?

Great blog post at  harmonenterprises  blog by Stacey Harmon about tagging or using stacked notebooks to organize in Evernote.  I use both.  I have a notebook for each project or main subject and then within that notebook are stacked notebooks to break it down. I use an inbox notebook where every note goes that comes into Evernote; from there I review and sort each note. My notebooks are always changing depending on what I am working on.  When I start a project it gets a notebook stack and when I finish the project I keep what I need to keep.  Those notes go to a filing cabinet notebook and get tagged with relevant notes.  I try to make sure the notes have informational titles so it is easier to search for a note if I need to.  About twice a year I go through all of my notes one by one and delete the ones that are not relevant.  I did not think I would be deleting as many as I do but a lot of them I do not need to keep. Be sure t...