Skip to main content

Using Evernote as a Planner Update

In my last post I explained how I was using Evernote to plan my life.  After using it for about a month its not working!  I think the biggest reason it is not working for me is because I sit in front of a computer all day at work and most nights it was a chore to have to go to Evernote to see what was going on.  When I am at home I want to spend my limited computer time doing what I love and planning in Evernote was not it!  I'm a little disappointed because I thought I had found the perfect solution.

Enter the Bullet Journal or #bujo!  I am super excited about this.  This is my current planning system. {I am not an artist so please excuse my sad drawings and not so wonderful handwriting}



I am able to plan my days ahead and also as things happen that day.  I can be as creative as I want to...which is the biggest reason I love this system.  I have lists throughout my journal.  Everything is easy to find using the Index at the beginning of the journal.  This is so much more than a planner!  I like that I can journal about my day and keep track of things like my health and any habits I am trying to keep up with.  All of this could be done in Evernote but there is just something about actually writing things down.

I have been keeping a genealogy log in my journal as well.  I do have a separate notebook for genealogy research notes.  These notes then get scanned to Evernote.  My journal will also be scanned into Evernote for easy reference.  Hopefully I have found my planner peace!


Did you try using Evernote to plan your days?  Did it work or are you using something else?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marine Casualty Card Database

While I was writing Top 10 Blog Posts for 2019 I discovered that my top post was US Marine Casualty Cards from 2014.  Wow!  {There is also an update to the original post here  where I show some more information that was sent to me.}  I went back to read the post and discovered that the links no longer work.  I did a little digging and found a link to the Casualty Card Database at the Marine Corps University website.  At this site you click on the war you want to search and download a searchable spreadsheet.  Once you locate your Marine you send an email to request the card.  There are also links to download information about what the codes mean on the cards. I also found that you can search the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Index, 1940-1958 , at Ancestry.com.  It gives the casualty date, type, unit, and service number.  There is a link to go to another website from the Ancestry database but that link does not work. {I believe...

Evernote to OneNote | Importing Notes

A few weeks ago I posted about moving to OneNote from Evernote .  To start the process I searched for a way export my Evernote notes into OneNote.  At the OneNote website you can download a OneNote importer.  Once it is downloaded double click to open and follow the instructions to link your Evernote account.   {Save the importer because you will be using it a lot to import your notes} .    I do not suggest selecting all of your notebooks and doing them at one time, especially if you have a lot of notes.  Before I started the importer I did a little housekeeping in my Evernote notebooks and deleted notes that were not needed.  You can also create some dummy notebooks in Evernote to break up your notes into smaller chunks so you do not run into any issues when importing to OneNote.  Once in OneNote you will want to move your notes around into your new organization system. Select your notebook, select next an...

5 Tips to Break Down Your Brick Wall

Originally posted at Lost Tree Project as a guest post February 2019. Eventually we all hit a brick wall.  My first brick wall was with Joseph Thomas {my husband's 3rd great grandfather} I spent months searching.  Brick walls can last weeks to months to years.  Below are some quick tips to help you break through that brick wall. Research another ancestor for a while and then go back to your brick wall .  You will see your brick wall ancestor with new eyes. Use a checklist to see if you missed any records.  {You can find my Evernote Research Checklist in my shared genealogy notebook.} Revisit your research.  Maybe you missed a piece of information in a document.  Maybe something seemed like it wasn't important but now that you have more information you find it is important. Learn something new.  It does not need to be genealogy related.  When you shift your thinking to something...