Skip to main content

J is for Jackson


Emily Jackson is not related to me or my husband.  She is the mother of my husband's 3rd great great uncle's wife.  

She is included in a biography from 1915 about my husband's Welsh line. The Jackson's come from a family that was very prominent in Berwick, Columbia county, Pennsylvania {where I grew up and most of my family lives.}  the Jackson Mansion has been described as Berwick’s finest gem; it is one of the most famous icons in Berwick and it is used to represent Berwick in eastern Columbia County. 

I have not done much research on the family or the mansion but it has been added to my ever growing to do list.  I am looking forward to learning more about this family, and Berwick and the families that lived there so long ago.

This is a picture of the Jackson Mansion that I took in December of 2013 when it was snowing and we were going to look at the Christmas lights at Christmas Boulevard(another Berwick icon.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Tips to Break Down Your Brick Wall

Originally posted at Lost Tree Project as a guest post February 2019. Eventually we all hit a brick wall.  My first brick wall was with Joseph Thomas {my husband's 3rd great grandfather} I spent months searching.  Brick walls can last weeks to months to years.  Below are some quick tips to help you break through that brick wall. Research another ancestor for a while and then go back to your brick wall .  You will see your brick wall ancestor with new eyes. Use a checklist to see if you missed any records.  {You can find my Evernote Research Checklist in my shared genealogy notebook.} Revisit your research.  Maybe you missed a piece of information in a document.  Maybe something seemed like it wasn't important but now that you have more information you find it is important. Learn something new.  It does not need to be genealogy related.  When you shift your thinking to something...

Marine Casualty Card Database

While I was writing Top 10 Blog Posts for 2019 I discovered that my top post was US Marine Casualty Cards from 2014.  Wow!  {There is also an update to the original post here  where I show some more information that was sent to me.}  I went back to read the post and discovered that the links no longer work.  I did a little digging and found a link to the Casualty Card Database at the Marine Corps University website.  At this site you click on the war you want to search and download a searchable spreadsheet.  Once you locate your Marine you send an email to request the card.  There are also links to download information about what the codes mean on the cards. I also found that you can search the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Index, 1940-1958 , at Ancestry.com.  It gives the casualty date, type, unit, and service number.  There is a link to go to another website from the Ancestry database but that link does not work. {I believe...

Evernote to OneNote | Importing Notes

A few weeks ago I posted about moving to OneNote from Evernote .  To start the process I searched for a way export my Evernote notes into OneNote.  At the OneNote website you can download a OneNote importer.  Once it is downloaded double click to open and follow the instructions to link your Evernote account.   {Save the importer because you will be using it a lot to import your notes} .    I do not suggest selecting all of your notebooks and doing them at one time, especially if you have a lot of notes.  Before I started the importer I did a little housekeeping in my Evernote notebooks and deleted notes that were not needed.  You can also create some dummy notebooks in Evernote to break up your notes into smaller chunks so you do not run into any issues when importing to OneNote.  Once in OneNote you will want to move your notes around into your new organization system. Select your notebook, select next an...