Skip to main content

Entering Civil War Ancestors in Legacy Family Tree

In the Legacy Virtual Users Group (LVUG) on Google+ we were going to talk about data entry for our veterans in our month LVUG meeting but internet problems prevented us from having our meeting so I decided to post my data entry here.

We are going to take a look at Joseph Eugene Thomas; he is my husband's third great grandfather. ( I have blogged about his wife Elizabeth Jane Savage Thomas and I blogged about Joseph and shared his Civil War timeline.)  

While researching Joseph I added whatever I could find about his time in the Civil War to Evernote.  From this information I was able to put the timeline (shown in image below) together to help me understand my information better and I was able to add a lot of information to Legacy.  The timeline was created in OneNote (shhh...don't tell) and the cells in the table are able to be edited.

Screen shot from Evernote showing notes for Joseph Thomas,
Below you can see Joseph's family in the Family view in Legacy.


In the image below is Joseph's Individual Information screen.


First, I utilize tags in Legacy.  They help to keep me organized.

  • Tag #1 is telling that he is in Jason's direct line
  • Tag #4 is telling me that I need to add his Find A Grave event.
  • Tag #9 is telling me that something needs to be done and if I look in my to do list I will see that I have a note about locating him in the 1850 Census and another about finding his birth date.

The Events I have recorded in Legacy are:

  1. Military -- 2 Sep 1864 Enlisted in Co. H 198th PA Inf.
  2. Wounded in Action -- 29 Mar 1865 Battle at Lewis' Farm.
  3. Military -- 12 Mar 1866 Widow's Pension Index.
  4. Article -- 3 Sep 1931 an article in the Benton Argus about his family visiting his grave for the first time.
  5. Find A Grave -- I need to finish this and add my source.
I use a Military event for any general military information.  Wounded in action of killed in action are used when they are needed.  I use events for everything (even the blog post I did about Joseph in Jan got an event.)

How do you enter your's Veteran's information??

_______________________________________________________________________________

Here are the details on his relatives visiting his grave for the first time:

The Benton Argus, Benton, Pennsylvania published 3 Sep 1931

Relatives of Joseph Thomas Locate Grave

Joshua E. Thomas and his son, Norton J. Thomas, of Forks, have returned from a motor trip to the Sourthern states.  While enroute they located the grave of Joseph Thomas, a Civil War veteran who was killed in the battle of Five Forks.  It is the first time any of Joseph Thomas' relatives have ever seen his grave.  He is buried at Hopewell, Virginia, in a cemetery that is maintained by the government.  Joshua Thomas is a son of Joseph Thomas, adn it was a great satisfaction to him to know and see where his father was buried.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitching Update…Lots of pics

  LHN Family Sampler (excuse my crooked house…not sure why it looks like that) American Flag Quilt Sampler by Rosewood Manor.  I love stitching on this; I did however run out of the Brethren Blue.  I decided to put this down for a little while and have picked up the family sampler again. A close up! HAED Natures Mourning.  I have not worked on this in a while.  I plan to stitch on LHN Family Sampler until Friday and then work on this next. Last but not least is a little freebie that I did before Christmas.

25 things about me

Donna had this posted on her blog and I thought I would play along. So here are 25 things about me. I have the most wonderful husband in the whole world. He is very supportive and does so much for me. I LOVE him very very much. My son is the best surprise I ever got. He was not planned but he is the BEST thing ever. I have two wonderful dogs. Gunner is a beagle and Meg is a chocolate lab. I love to take pictures. I love my camera and what I see through it. I love tea, hot or iced, it does not matter! Eeyore is my favorite character. I love to cross stitch and scrapbook. My mom is my best friend..I tell her everything and I talk to her at least once a day (sometimes more). My dh and I were married in Florida on the beach...it was one of the best days of my life. On May 10th we will be married for 5 years but we have been together for 10 +/- a few. I just watched the movie Happy Gilmore and I kinda liked it. I love the Anne of Green Gables series and I am dying to go to Prince Edw

I'm back!!

Yes, I am back from blogging vacation. First, we had a wonderful Christmas is sunny Florida with Jason's family. I really did not want to come home...it was so nice and warm! I have LOTS of pics to go through...they are still on my camera (totally unlike me if you know me at all)!! New Year's Eve was a little different this year. Normally we have a party with friends at our house and then on New Year's Day we go to my grandparents for lunch with family. This year on New Year's Eve we had dinner at our house with some GREAT friends and then we headed out to a resturant that another friend works at. The resturant is closing and being their last night she had to work. It was so much fun...I had way too much to drink and paid heavily for it!! We did not have our traditional dinner on New Year's Day since we had it a few days earlier while my uncle was in from California. All in all we had a wonderful time this Holiday season!! Tomorrow my dad goes into surgery to remo