Skip to main content

Statistics in Legacy

One of the nice features of Legacy is that it can provide you with a lot of information about your data in the form of numbers and charts in Statistics.

The image below show where you find Statistics in your Legacy program.  It is under the Tools tab and then near the end of the Tools ribbon you will see the Statistics icon.


What kinds of things can you learn from Statistics??

The image below shows what my database file look like in Statistics when I opened it today.  You can get lists of the most popular surname, the most popular given name, the most popular locations, etc.  As you click on the items in the list you will see the Show Graph, Create Search List, and other buttons become available near the bottom right of the screen. (See image below)


The image below show what one of the graphs look like.  There are a few different options for the type of graph you want to see.  (I'm not big on their color choices and I don't see a way to change them).


In March of last year I used the statistics for a Saturday Night Genealogy Fun mission from Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings on this blog post.

I decided that I wanted to keep track of certain things in my database after that post as a way for me to measure my progress.  I used Microsoft Excel to create two worksheets for showing some of my numbers. 

The next two images below show how many ancestors I have found in each generation up to 15 generations for both were done on 20th of January; one in 2014 and the other in 2015.  I have two of these one for my direct ancestors and another one for my husband's direct ancestors.  (These were created by doing an Ancestor report and counting how many ancestors were in each generation.)





In the last image I have a comparison between certain data points in 2014 and 2015.  It is interesting to me to see what has been added .  


My plan is to track this information on a regular basis.  I have set up a note in Evernote (in my To Do notebook) with a reminder to check out my Legacy statistics.  I am going to go for every three months for now but I think it will be more like every 6 months.



How do you use Legacy Statistics??



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Sampler Update

I was hoping to get more done on this this past week but another trip to the ER on Wednesday night did not leave much time for stitching.  I was very dehydrated and my potassium was low and I found out that I have a UTI.  I was really surprised about the UTI because I did not have the normal symptoms.  The antibiotic has really been helping.  I was not feeling well and just laying on the couch but then I got dizzy and fell so Jason had to come home from work and take me to the ER.  Yesterday was the first that I really spent any time stitching but I did get a lot done.  I switched to my HAED Nature’s Mourning for this week.  So far today I have gotten a lot done.  Hopefully this week I will stay healthy and want to cross stitch. Enjoy your week! Happy Stitching!!

Marine Casualty Card Database

While I was writing Top 10 Blog Posts for 2019 I discovered that my top post was US Marine Casualty Cards from 2014.  Wow!  {There is also an update to the original post here  where I show some more information that was sent to me.}  I went back to read the post and discovered that the links no longer work.  I did a little digging and found a link to the Casualty Card Database at the Marine Corps University website.  At this site you click on the war you want to search and download a searchable spreadsheet.  Once you locate your Marine you send an email to request the card.  There are also links to download information about what the codes mean on the cards. I also found that you can search the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Index, 1940-1958 , at Ancestry.com.  It gives the casualty date, type, unit, and service number.  There is a link to go to another website from the Ancestry database but that link does not work. {I believe it is the same as the link from my original post

How I Use Evernote for My Genealogy.

NOTE: 2 Feb 2014 -- Link updated to shared notebook ______________________________________________________________________ Today I did a Google+ hangout on air about  Evernote for Genealogy .   Once I watched the video I saw that I was not a very good cameraman! Hopefully this will clear up any questions you may have. How I use Evernote for my genealogy. I use Evernote to store everything including my genealogy research. You want to use Evernote in a way that makes sense to you.  Tags, notebooks, no tags or no notebooks; do whatever works the best for you. Notebooks  (the  blue  box) Notebooks are sorted alphabetically so if there are notebooks you want at the top of your list you can use ! or @ or ~ in front of your notebook title.  In my image, for example, I have my INBOX notebook with an ! in front to keep this notebook at the top of the list.  I use a ~ to keep my GENEALOGY notebook stacks together.  I have an ARCHIVE notebook and in front of