Skip to main content

Saturday Genealogy Fun On Monday!

I'm finally getting around to doing this.

On Saturday March 22, 2014 Randy Seaver from Genea-Musings posted Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- How Many Surnames in Your Database.

Randy's mission:

1)  Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.

2)  Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.

3)  Tell us how many surnames are in your database and, if possible, which Surname has the most entries.  If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5!  Or 10!!  Or 20!!!

4)  Write about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, in a status or comment on Facebook, or in Google Plus Stream post.

This is one of my favorites; I like looking at statistics about my database.  I use Legacy 8 and there is a new button that says statistics and gives you a lot of great information about your database.


Clicking on the Statistics Report brings up the Family File Statistics window:


This tells me:

  1. total number of individuals is 2876
  2. total number of unique surnames is 608
  3. top 10 most popular surnames are:
    1. Siegfried -- 195
    2. Masteller -- 164
    3. Unknown -- 87
    4. Kinley -- 82
    5. Hunter -- 70
    6. Thomas -- 68
    7. Everitt -- 67
    8. Wenner -- 66
    9. Savage -- 47
    10. Hartman -- 43
   4.  total number of unique given names is 1794
   5.  top 10 most popular given names are:

    1. Elizabeth -- 45
    2. John -- 42
    3. Unknown -- 41
    4. Catherine --36
    5. Daniel -- 32
    6. Mary -- 30
    7. Henry -- 29
    8. Sarah -- 27
    9. Jacob -- 26
    10. William -- 25
 I really thought there were more people in my database than that.  As you can see I have a LONG ways to go!

NOTE:
If you have been following blog you know I have fallen off the wagon with 52 posts in 52 weeks.  I will update with a new post shortly.  I am just going to pick up where I left off and will hopefully catch up with an extra post some weeks.

Happy Searching!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Use Evernote for My Genealogy.

NOTE: 2 Feb 2014 -- Link updated to shared notebook ______________________________________________________________________ Today I did a Google+ hangout on air about  Evernote for Genealogy .   Once I watched the video I saw that I was not a very good cameraman! Hopefully this will clear up any questions you may have. How I use Evernote for my genealogy. I use Evernote to store everything including my genealogy research. You want to use Evernote in a way that makes sense to you.  Tags, notebooks, no tags or no notebooks; do whatever works the best for you. Notebooks  (the  blue  box) Notebooks are sorted alphabetically so if there are notebooks you want at the top of your list you can use ! or @ or ~ in front of your notebook title.  In my image, for example, I have my INBOX notebook with an ! in front to keep this notebook at the top of the list.  I use a ~ to keep my GENEALOGY notebook stacks together.  I have an ARCHIVE notebook and in front of

Goodbye Evernote, Hello OneNote

What?  I'm leaving Evernote behind! As most of you know I have been a huge Evernote supporter from the beginning and I have had a paid membership from the beginning {until October 1st}.    There has been a lot of talk about Evernote not lasting much longer because they have been making a lot of changes and letting people go.   That got me thinking about what I would do if they did cease to exist.   I started looking at all of my options and the best option, for me, is OneNote.   I already have it on my computer and it is free.   I can use OneNote on my desktop, laptop, phone, and table all for free.   I can still use tags {a bit different than what I am use to but it works and I am finding that I really don't need that many tags}.   I can still search for things and actually find what I am looking for.   I can still clip stuff from the web using the OneNote clipper.   I'm currently working on moving notes from Evernote to OneNote.   It can be a bit tedious but t

Wordless Wednesday | Halloween