Skip to main content

George Washington Hunter


There is a lot I don't know but here is what I know about my 2nd great-grandfather.

George Washington Hunter is the son of William Wallace and Priscilla Cragle Hunter.

George was born in 1854 and died in 1927

George married Mary McMelon abt 1880 and they had Jonah, Sarah, Iva Pearl, and Theron. Mary died in 1903 and in Jan 1904 he married my 2nd great-grandmother Florence M. Lewis Myers.  Together, George and Florence had my great-grandfather Willard Milton Hunter.

In 1870 George was 16 years old and he was a farm laborer according to the 1870 census; he was living in Union, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania with his parents.

In 1880 George was 26 years old and he was married to Mary (she was only 17 years old).  George's occupation is a teamster and they are living in Hunlock Township. Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.

In 1900 George was 46 years old and he was married to Mary who is 36 years old.  George is listed as a farmer owning his own farm. George and Mary have 4 children living with them and one daughter in law in Lehman Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.

In 1910 George has married Florence Hunter (they have been married for 6 years).  Living with George and Florence are Theron Hunter, Harvey Myers, Raymond Myers, Grace Myers, Nellie Myers, and Willard Hunter.  George is now a laborer in the industry of Car Worker, they rent their house and they live at 306 Arch St, West Berwick, Columbia County, Pennsylvania.



In 1920 I cannot find George on the census.  His wife Florence is living with her daughter Grace and her husband Stephen Kacyon and their daughter Ruby and Willard at 130 South Warren St., Berwick, Columbia county, Pennsylvania.  Florence is listed as widowed.

My initial thought was that George died.  I could not find anything for George for quite some time regarding his death or burial.  I did find that Florence died 23 Nov 1931 at the Berwick Hospital Emergency Room in Berwick, Columbia County, Pennsylvania and that she was buried at Oakdale Cemetery, Hunlock Creek, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.  She is buried with her first husband Oreal Myers.  What? Why?  I looked for George but I didn't find him in the same cemetery.  Next, I looked for his first wife Mary.  I found Mary on findagrave.com buried in the Maple Grove Cemetery, Sweet Valley, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania.  Guess who was buried with her?!  George...I found George!  According to the headstone and findagrave.com information George did not die until 1927 but on the 1920 census Florence is widowed!  I'm still working on that one!

So I need to know if the headstones death date is a mistake, or if he was really alive and they were not together for one reason or another.  Hopefully some day I will find out what happened to George.

If anyone out there has pictures of my ancestors and wants to share please contact me...thanks!

Comments

  1. Great story! That really is an interesting mystery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! If you look at my most recent post Florence Lewis Myers Hunter -- #3 of 52 you can read more of the story.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Sampler Update

I was hoping to get more done on this this past week but another trip to the ER on Wednesday night did not leave much time for stitching.  I was very dehydrated and my potassium was low and I found out that I have a UTI.  I was really surprised about the UTI because I did not have the normal symptoms.  The antibiotic has really been helping.  I was not feeling well and just laying on the couch but then I got dizzy and fell so Jason had to come home from work and take me to the ER.  Yesterday was the first that I really spent any time stitching but I did get a lot done.  I switched to my HAED Nature’s Mourning for this week.  So far today I have gotten a lot done.  Hopefully this week I will stay healthy and want to cross stitch. Enjoy your week! Happy Stitching!!

Marine Casualty Card Database

While I was writing Top 10 Blog Posts for 2019 I discovered that my top post was US Marine Casualty Cards from 2014.  Wow!  {There is also an update to the original post here  where I show some more information that was sent to me.}  I went back to read the post and discovered that the links no longer work.  I did a little digging and found a link to the Casualty Card Database at the Marine Corps University website.  At this site you click on the war you want to search and download a searchable spreadsheet.  Once you locate your Marine you send an email to request the card.  There are also links to download information about what the codes mean on the cards. I also found that you can search the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Index, 1940-1958 , at Ancestry.com.  It gives the casualty date, type, unit, and service number.  There is a link to go to another website from the Ancestry database but that link does not work. {I believe it is the same as the link from my original post

How I Use Evernote for My Genealogy.

NOTE: 2 Feb 2014 -- Link updated to shared notebook ______________________________________________________________________ Today I did a Google+ hangout on air about  Evernote for Genealogy .   Once I watched the video I saw that I was not a very good cameraman! Hopefully this will clear up any questions you may have. How I use Evernote for my genealogy. I use Evernote to store everything including my genealogy research. You want to use Evernote in a way that makes sense to you.  Tags, notebooks, no tags or no notebooks; do whatever works the best for you. Notebooks  (the  blue  box) Notebooks are sorted alphabetically so if there are notebooks you want at the top of your list you can use ! or @ or ~ in front of your notebook title.  In my image, for example, I have my INBOX notebook with an ! in front to keep this notebook at the top of the list.  I use a ~ to keep my GENEALOGY notebook stacks together.  I have an ARCHIVE notebook and in front of