Skip to main content

Tagging and Notebooks in Evernote

With the Genealogy Do Over going full force there has been a lot of Evernote questions popping up and most have to do with tagging and notebooks so today I am going to share how my notebooks and tags are set up.

Notebooks shown in blue box and tags are shown in green box.
Inbox Stack :
  • The Inbox notebook which is my default notebook is where everything goes before it gets tagged and moved to the correct notebook.  
  • The To Do notebook holds all to do's both genealogy and personal and they all get assigned a reminder.  Once the task is complete they are moved to the appropriate notebook with correct tags added.  
  • The Blog notebook is a temporary notebook that holds information and ideas for blog posts.  Once I don't need the information any more it is either deleted or moved to the appropriate notebook.
Genealogy Stack : 
  • The Best Practices notebook has citation information and information pertaining to my Legacy Family Tree genealogy program.
  • The Research notebook is all of my genealogy research.
  • The Resources notebook holds all of my genealogy resources.
  • The Shared Genealogy notebook is a public notebook that has templates and other information about genealogy and Evernote in it.
  • The last notebook xTemplatesx has all of the genealogy templates that I use.
Genealogy Trails stack has all of my information for genealogy trails.  I host Columbia and Montour counties in Pennsylvania.  I keep track of things that have been or need to be added to the websites in this notebook.

zArchivez Stack :
  • This stack holds information that is non genealogy that I do not want to part with and shared notebooks that I have joined are also in this stack.
The image below gives a better look at my tags.  I have 5 tag categories that include:
  1. Genealogy
  2. Genealogy Trails
  3. Shannon (holds personal notes, recipes, crafts, etc.)
  4. Templates
  5. Archive
Note:  there is an extra template tag that has no notes associated with it.  It seems to be stuck there I cannot delete it.

My tags in Evernote.
One of the best things about tags is that you can nest them, which makes it easier for me to keep my tags organized.  The first green box shows my @Genealogy category tag and under that you can see all the genealogy related tags.  The second green box is the zSurname tag (the z is to keep it at the bottom of the list) and nested under this tag are all of the surname tags that I am currently using.

Those of you who are just starting out with Evernote don't get hung up on creating all of your tags right away.  I have been using Evernote since about 2007 if not before and my tagging and notebook structure has undergone many transformations.  You have to do what is the easiest for you.

Next up will be searching in Evernote.

Please post your comments and questions below! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Sampler Update

I was hoping to get more done on this this past week but another trip to the ER on Wednesday night did not leave much time for stitching.  I was very dehydrated and my potassium was low and I found out that I have a UTI.  I was really surprised about the UTI because I did not have the normal symptoms.  The antibiotic has really been helping.  I was not feeling well and just laying on the couch but then I got dizzy and fell so Jason had to come home from work and take me to the ER.  Yesterday was the first that I really spent any time stitching but I did get a lot done.  I switched to my HAED Nature’s Mourning for this week.  So far today I have gotten a lot done.  Hopefully this week I will stay healthy and want to cross stitch. Enjoy your week! Happy Stitching!!

Marine Casualty Card Database

While I was writing Top 10 Blog Posts for 2019 I discovered that my top post was US Marine Casualty Cards from 2014.  Wow!  {There is also an update to the original post here  where I show some more information that was sent to me.}  I went back to read the post and discovered that the links no longer work.  I did a little digging and found a link to the Casualty Card Database at the Marine Corps University website.  At this site you click on the war you want to search and download a searchable spreadsheet.  Once you locate your Marine you send an email to request the card.  There are also links to download information about what the codes mean on the cards. I also found that you can search the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Index, 1940-1958 , at Ancestry.com.  It gives the casualty date, type, unit, and service number.  There is a link to go to another website from the Ancestry database but that link does not work. {I believe it is the same as the link from my original post

How I Use Evernote for My Genealogy.

NOTE: 2 Feb 2014 -- Link updated to shared notebook ______________________________________________________________________ Today I did a Google+ hangout on air about  Evernote for Genealogy .   Once I watched the video I saw that I was not a very good cameraman! Hopefully this will clear up any questions you may have. How I use Evernote for my genealogy. I use Evernote to store everything including my genealogy research. You want to use Evernote in a way that makes sense to you.  Tags, notebooks, no tags or no notebooks; do whatever works the best for you. Notebooks  (the  blue  box) Notebooks are sorted alphabetically so if there are notebooks you want at the top of your list you can use ! or @ or ~ in front of your notebook title.  In my image, for example, I have my INBOX notebook with an ! in front to keep this notebook at the top of the list.  I use a ~ to keep my GENEALOGY notebook stacks together.  I have an ARCHIVE notebook and in front of