Skip to main content

US Marine Casualty Cards


Earlier this week I got my copy of Family Tree Magazine and I was reading an article that led me to World War II History Network and from there I found a link to an article about the United States Marine Corp making their casualty cards searchable.  You can find the database at Casualty Cards Database.

Fred Thomas, my husbands great uncle, was in WWII and in the Marines.  I searched the database and found :


On the first page it states : While the cards for World War II through Korea are not classified, however, they can often be very graphic.  Therefore, to maintain the dignity and honor of the Marines, the individual cards will only be released, upon request, on a case by case basis.  To request a card, please send an email to history.division@usmc.mil or a request in writting to:
United States Marine Corps History Division
Attn: Reference Branch
3078 Upshur Avenue
Quantico, Virginia 22134.   

I immediately sent an email {about 12:30 am because I don't sleep} requesting more information and did not really think much more about it.  The next morning I had an email with the images attached!!!  I almost deleted it because I did not recognize the email address...so glad I did not!!  There was a pdf file attached and it included 5 pages of card images for Fred Thomas.



On the card that has his death information on it does not say what kind of wound he died from, instead there is the number 8-46-001.  Now I am on a mission to find out what this code means.

Clicking around the internet and reading all there is about genealogy is a wonderful thing!!

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. One of the best finds while researching this family.

      Delete
  2. Hi! I was trying to find a casualty report for a fellow marine who served on Okinawa and was wounded. I reached out using your link, yet its been a week and no response. Did they stop allowing to give out the casualty reports or are they not functional any more? Anything would be great about how I could get his report.

    Thank you,
    Jax

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jax
      Did you find the information you were looking for? You can search the Marine Corps Casualty cards at Ancestry at https://www.ancestry.com/search/collections/70837/ Also, here is a direct link to the Casualty Card database website https://www.usmcu.edu/Research/Marine-Corps-History-Division/Research-Tools-Facts-and-Figures/Casualty-Card-Database/

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Sampler Update

I was hoping to get more done on this this past week but another trip to the ER on Wednesday night did not leave much time for stitching.  I was very dehydrated and my potassium was low and I found out that I have a UTI.  I was really surprised about the UTI because I did not have the normal symptoms.  The antibiotic has really been helping.  I was not feeling well and just laying on the couch but then I got dizzy and fell so Jason had to come home from work and take me to the ER.  Yesterday was the first that I really spent any time stitching but I did get a lot done.  I switched to my HAED Nature’s Mourning for this week.  So far today I have gotten a lot done.  Hopefully this week I will stay healthy and want to cross stitch. Enjoy your week! Happy Stitching!!

Marine Casualty Card Database

While I was writing Top 10 Blog Posts for 2019 I discovered that my top post was US Marine Casualty Cards from 2014.  Wow!  {There is also an update to the original post here  where I show some more information that was sent to me.}  I went back to read the post and discovered that the links no longer work.  I did a little digging and found a link to the Casualty Card Database at the Marine Corps University website.  At this site you click on the war you want to search and download a searchable spreadsheet.  Once you locate your Marine you send an email to request the card.  There are also links to download information about what the codes mean on the cards. I also found that you can search the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Index, 1940-1958 , at Ancestry.com.  It gives the casualty date, type, unit, and service number.  There is a link to go to another website from the Ancestry database but that link does not work. {I believe it is the same as the link from my original post

How I Use Evernote for My Genealogy.

NOTE: 2 Feb 2014 -- Link updated to shared notebook ______________________________________________________________________ Today I did a Google+ hangout on air about  Evernote for Genealogy .   Once I watched the video I saw that I was not a very good cameraman! Hopefully this will clear up any questions you may have. How I use Evernote for my genealogy. I use Evernote to store everything including my genealogy research. You want to use Evernote in a way that makes sense to you.  Tags, notebooks, no tags or no notebooks; do whatever works the best for you. Notebooks  (the  blue  box) Notebooks are sorted alphabetically so if there are notebooks you want at the top of your list you can use ! or @ or ~ in front of your notebook title.  In my image, for example, I have my INBOX notebook with an ! in front to keep this notebook at the top of the list.  I use a ~ to keep my GENEALOGY notebook stacks together.  I have an ARCHIVE notebook and in front of