Skip to main content

Florence M. Lewis Myers Hunter

I've had a really hard time deciding who to write about for this week.  I do not have a lot of information about Florence but since I wrote about her husband George Washington Hunter last week I thought why not continue the story…or lack thereof.

Florence was born 5 Sep 1863 in Muhlenburg, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, USA to Edward C. and Ellen (Elenore) Bonham Lewis.  Florence was the oldest of three children; Boaz Lewis was born about 1870 and Clemmence Lewis was born about 1872 [I have not done any research on her siblings yet].

I have not found the family on the 1870 census yet but I am expecting to find them in Luzerne County. 

In 1880 the family was living in Union Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, USA. 

In 1883 she married her first husband, Orel Kizer Myers. 

The 1900 census has them living in Hunlock Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, USA.

They had the following children:

1.       Orel William Myers born 19 Dec 1884
2.       Edith Emily Myers born 9 Mar 1890
3.       Harvey Harold Myers born Nov 1892
4.       Raymond Myers born 1896
5.       Grace Laura Myers born Nov 1898
6.       Nellie C. Myers born 1901

Florence L. Lewis
Myers Hunter
According to Orel’s headstone he died in 1903[possibly 9 October but I’m not sure about this date]; he is buried in Oakdale Cemetery, Hunlock Creek, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, USA [with Florence].

Florence married George Washington Hunter in January of 1904.

They had one son together on 31 May 1905, Willard Milton Hunter [my great grandfather].

On the 1910 census they are living at 306 Arch St, Berwick, Columbia County, Pennsylvania, USA with their blended family.  4 Myers children from her previous marriage, 1 Hunter child from his previous marriage and Willard Milton Hunter their son together.

By the 1920 census Florence and Willard are living at 130 South Warren St., Berwick, Columbia County, Pennsylvania, USA with her daughter Grace, her son in law and her granddaughter.  Florence is listed as being widowed.

At this point, I was looking for any information about George’s death that I could find and found his headstone with the date of 1927 on it; he was buried with his first wife Mary L. McMelon in Maple Grove Cemetery, Sweet Valley, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, USA

It looks like there is more to this story…I am missing a 1930 census for Florence [adding this to my to do list].

When Florence dies 20 Nov 1931 she is buried with her first husband Orel Kizer Myers in Oakdale Cemetery, Hunlock Creek. Luzerne County, Pennsylvania, USA.

Florence’s cause of death was diabetes melitis and the secondary cause myocarditis.

On her death certificate is says that she was married to G. W. Hunter but on the 1920 census is says she was widowed.  I wonder what happened??  Time for more searching to answer my questions.

As of my last post about George Washington Hunter I did not know where he was in the 1920 census but very early Monday morning I found him…at least I am pretty sure it is him but we will save that for another post.


It looks like I knew more than I thought…




photos from Esther Myers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Family Sampler Update

I was hoping to get more done on this this past week but another trip to the ER on Wednesday night did not leave much time for stitching.  I was very dehydrated and my potassium was low and I found out that I have a UTI.  I was really surprised about the UTI because I did not have the normal symptoms.  The antibiotic has really been helping.  I was not feeling well and just laying on the couch but then I got dizzy and fell so Jason had to come home from work and take me to the ER.  Yesterday was the first that I really spent any time stitching but I did get a lot done.  I switched to my HAED Nature’s Mourning for this week.  So far today I have gotten a lot done.  Hopefully this week I will stay healthy and want to cross stitch. Enjoy your week! Happy Stitching!!

Marine Casualty Card Database

While I was writing Top 10 Blog Posts for 2019 I discovered that my top post was US Marine Casualty Cards from 2014.  Wow!  {There is also an update to the original post here  where I show some more information that was sent to me.}  I went back to read the post and discovered that the links no longer work.  I did a little digging and found a link to the Casualty Card Database at the Marine Corps University website.  At this site you click on the war you want to search and download a searchable spreadsheet.  Once you locate your Marine you send an email to request the card.  There are also links to download information about what the codes mean on the cards. I also found that you can search the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Index, 1940-1958 , at Ancestry.com.  It gives the casualty date, type, unit, and service number.  There is a link to go to another website from the Ancestry database but that link does not work. {I believe it is the same as the link from my original post

How I Use Evernote for My Genealogy.

NOTE: 2 Feb 2014 -- Link updated to shared notebook ______________________________________________________________________ Today I did a Google+ hangout on air about  Evernote for Genealogy .   Once I watched the video I saw that I was not a very good cameraman! Hopefully this will clear up any questions you may have. How I use Evernote for my genealogy. I use Evernote to store everything including my genealogy research. You want to use Evernote in a way that makes sense to you.  Tags, notebooks, no tags or no notebooks; do whatever works the best for you. Notebooks  (the  blue  box) Notebooks are sorted alphabetically so if there are notebooks you want at the top of your list you can use ! or @ or ~ in front of your notebook title.  In my image, for example, I have my INBOX notebook with an ! in front to keep this notebook at the top of the list.  I use a ~ to keep my GENEALOGY notebook stacks together.  I have an ARCHIVE notebook and in front of