Skip to main content

The Great Search


Family Search has added images of Wills to their Columbia County Pennsylvania records.  It does take some time to get through them since they are not searchable but persistence pays off.  I was able to locate the will for James Everitt.  James had a daughter named Sarah M. L. Everitt who married John Welsh.  (Sarah and John are my husband Jason's 3rd great grandparents).  I was having a hard time connecting Sarah to her parents.  I thought they were James and Mary Everitt but I did not have any concrete evidence.

Once I found out about the wills being online I took a chance and looked for James' will and there it was!


In his will he states that his wife, Mary, may have whatever she wants to allow her a comfortable living as long as she remains his widow.  His daughter Elizabeth (wife of Henry Delong) gets $250.00.  His son Asa gets $250.00.  He leaves to the heirs of his daughter Susan (wife of John Auten) he leaves Casper Newton Auten $20.00, Francis Marion Auten $20.00, and Allen Cotner Auten $20.00 which they cannot have until they are 21 years of age.  His son Moses gets $50.00.  His daughter Sarah (wife of John Welsh) is given 10 acres of land off the northwest end of his farm which he values at $120.00 and $130.00 in cash.  His son Elijah's heirs, William Henry Everitt and Francis Marion Everitt get $150.00 each but not until they turn the age of 21.  His son Andrew Jackson gets $250.00.  His son Enos gets $10.00.  His son Enoch gets $200.00.  His son Hiram gets $150.00.  His daughter Louisa Anne gets $250.00.  He names his executors as Moses Everitt and Andrew Jackson Everitt.  [Andrew dies before his father James].  He goes on to state that after his death or the death of his Mary (whoever survives the longest) that they are to sell his real estate and any personal property and it is to be split equally by Elizabeth Delong, Asa Everitt, Moses Everitt, Sarah Welsh, Andrew Jackson Everitt, Enos Everitt, Enoch Everitt, Hiram Everitt, and Louisa Anne Everitt.

If my calculations are correct he gas given $1,750.00 to his children and grandchildren and 10 acres of land. In 1863 that was a lot.

I now have more people to add to my tree and to search for information about them.  Finding this will was like hitting the jackpot for me!

I'm off to enjoy my Sunday of ancestor hunting!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stitching Update…Lots of pics

  LHN Family Sampler (excuse my crooked house…not sure why it looks like that) American Flag Quilt Sampler by Rosewood Manor.  I love stitching on this; I did however run out of the Brethren Blue.  I decided to put this down for a little while and have picked up the family sampler again. A close up! HAED Natures Mourning.  I have not worked on this in a while.  I plan to stitch on LHN Family Sampler until Friday and then work on this next. Last but not least is a little freebie that I did before Christmas.

How I Use Evernote for My Genealogy.

NOTE: 2 Feb 2014 -- Link updated to shared notebook ______________________________________________________________________ Today I did a Google+ hangout on air about  Evernote for Genealogy .   Once I watched the video I saw that I was not a very good cameraman! Hopefully this will clear up any questions you may have. How I use Evernote for my genealogy. I use Evernote to store everything including my genealogy research. You want to use Evernote in a way that makes sense to you.  Tags, notebooks, no tags or no notebooks; do whatever works the best for you. Notebooks  (the  blue  box) Notebooks are sorted alphabetically so if there are notebooks you want at the top of your list you can use ! or @ or ~ in front of your notebook title.  In my image, for example, I have my INBOX notebook with an ! in front to keep this notebook at the top of the list.  I use a ~ to keep my GENEALOGY notebook stacks together.  I have an ARCHIVE notebook and in front of

25 things about me

Donna had this posted on her blog and I thought I would play along. So here are 25 things about me. I have the most wonderful husband in the whole world. He is very supportive and does so much for me. I LOVE him very very much. My son is the best surprise I ever got. He was not planned but he is the BEST thing ever. I have two wonderful dogs. Gunner is a beagle and Meg is a chocolate lab. I love to take pictures. I love my camera and what I see through it. I love tea, hot or iced, it does not matter! Eeyore is my favorite character. I love to cross stitch and scrapbook. My mom is my best friend..I tell her everything and I talk to her at least once a day (sometimes more). My dh and I were married in Florida on the beach...it was one of the best days of my life. On May 10th we will be married for 5 years but we have been together for 10 +/- a few. I just watched the movie Happy Gilmore and I kinda liked it. I love the Anne of Green Gables series and I am dying to go to Prince Edw