Skip to main content

I for Index

  

In Legacy I use the Index view a lot.  A few months ago I realized that I could customize what I see on my screen.  The image below shows what my Index normally looks like.  My direct line ancestors are in bold {I marked them with the red ! so you could see them easier.}  To customize your view click on the options button in the top right.


The image below shows you the choices once you click on Options.  Click on Customize Columns to add or remove columns in your index. You can also click on the column headings to open the Customize Index View.


#1 in the image below is where you click to bring up the Field Name options.  The Name to Display column is what your column headings will be called {#3 in the image below.}  You can see that I added the date I modified the individuals in my database {#2 in image below.}  Behind the customization box you can see what the Date Modified column looks like.


Unfortunately, you can only search the RIN, Given Names, and Surname columns.

You do have a lot of flexibility in what to include in your Index view.  The image below shows some of the choices.



I added three of my tags to my Index View {see image below.}  Tag #1 is my husband's direct line, Tag #2 in my direct line, and Tag #4 is telling me that my Find A Grave Event/Fact needs to be added.


Once you find a layout that works you can save it; you can have 10 different Index Views saved at a time.  

If you click on Save {in the red box in the image below} you will see screen 1{in the image below}.  Choose a number and a name to save your Index to and click save.  To change your view to a saved one click on Load and you can choose one of your saved views to load {#2 in the image below.}


How do you plan to use the customized index in your genealogy??

See you back here tomorrow for letter J.

Enjoy your weekend!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Use Evernote for My Genealogy.

NOTE: 2 Feb 2014 -- Link updated to shared notebook ______________________________________________________________________ Today I did a Google+ hangout on air about  Evernote for Genealogy .   Once I watched the video I saw that I was not a very good cameraman! Hopefully this will clear up any questions you may have. How I use Evernote for my genealogy. I use Evernote to store everything including my genealogy research. You want to use Evernote in a way that makes sense to you.  Tags, notebooks, no tags or no notebooks; do whatever works the best for you. Notebooks  (the  blue  box) Notebooks are sorted alphabetically so if there are notebooks you want at the top of your list you can use ! or @ or ~ in front of your notebook title.  In my image, for example, I have my INBOX notebook with an ! in front to keep this notebook at the top of the list.  I use a ~ to keep my GENEALOGY notebook stacks together.  I have an ARCHIVE notebook and in front of

Stitching Update…Lots of pics

  LHN Family Sampler (excuse my crooked house…not sure why it looks like that) American Flag Quilt Sampler by Rosewood Manor.  I love stitching on this; I did however run out of the Brethren Blue.  I decided to put this down for a little while and have picked up the family sampler again. A close up! HAED Natures Mourning.  I have not worked on this in a while.  I plan to stitch on LHN Family Sampler until Friday and then work on this next. Last but not least is a little freebie that I did before Christmas.

25 things about me

Donna had this posted on her blog and I thought I would play along. So here are 25 things about me. I have the most wonderful husband in the whole world. He is very supportive and does so much for me. I LOVE him very very much. My son is the best surprise I ever got. He was not planned but he is the BEST thing ever. I have two wonderful dogs. Gunner is a beagle and Meg is a chocolate lab. I love to take pictures. I love my camera and what I see through it. I love tea, hot or iced, it does not matter! Eeyore is my favorite character. I love to cross stitch and scrapbook. My mom is my best friend..I tell her everything and I talk to her at least once a day (sometimes more). My dh and I were married in Florida on the beach...it was one of the best days of my life. On May 10th we will be married for 5 years but we have been together for 10 +/- a few. I just watched the movie Happy Gilmore and I kinda liked it. I love the Anne of Green Gables series and I am dying to go to Prince Edw